Annexe CIL Advice: Understanding CIL Can Save You Money

Are you thinking of adding a granny annexe to your property?

Getting Annexe CIL advice is a crucial part of the planning process for your annexe and can save you money! Read on to understand the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and how it could increase the costs of your new annexe if you don’t get it right.

What is CIL?

Local councils in the UK can charge CIL on new developments. This money funds infrastructure like roads, schools and parks needed for growing communities. It’s essentially a developer contribution towards these additional needs.

How is CIL charged?

CIL typically depends on the development size, usually per square metre. Each Local Planning Authority (LPA) sets its own CIL Charging Schedule outlining rates for different development types (residential, commercial etc). The Local Authority calculates CIL liability based on your annexe size, type, and charging schedule.

Do all councils charge CIL?

Not all councils in the UK charge CIL. It’s up to each Local Authority to decide whether to implement CIL in their area. Check with your LA to see if they have a CIL scheme.

Do I need to pay CIL for my granny annexe?

It depends! The rules regarding whether you must pay CIL for granny annexes can vary depending on the Local Authority and the specific circumstances of the annexe. Such as whether it is going to be ancillary.

How can I get a CIL exemption for my annexe?

A planning consultancy or agent usually handles this; they’ll complete the relevant forms and submit them to your Local Authority during the planning application.  The forms for CIL for granny annexes are:

  • Form 1 – Additional Information: Provides details about your development and potential CIL liability.
  • Form 2 – Assumption of Liability: This form must be completed to accept liability for the CIL payment.
  • Form 6 – Commencement Notice: Use this form to notify the LA of the date development will commence. It must be submitted before development begins, to avoid a surcharge.
  • Form 8 – Residential Annex Claim: This form is used to claim exemption or relief from CIL for residential annexes.

How can a planning consultancy help with CIL?

Not all councils charge CIL, but for those that do, it’s vital to follow our suggested guidelines:

  • Be aware of the potential CIL charge
  • Ensure you apply for the exemption before starting work

Failing to submit the correct forms on time can lead to delays, financial penalties, or even enforcement action.

How can NAPC help with your CIL?

  • Stay organised and compliant with CIL requirements
  • Complete and submit the necessary CIL forms accurately and on time for you

This helps avoid potential issues and ensures your project progresses smoothly.

For more advice on CIL, or to discuss your project, get in touch today. We have experienced planners ready to offer you advice regarding annexe CIL.

More reading

Head over to our Blog and Projects pages to learn more about our Planning services and what we have delivered for our clients.

The National Planning Policy Framework document outlines the government’s planning policies for England and Wales, which may touch upon CIL considerations for developments.


Get an answer quicker with a Feasibility Study

A one-off Feasibility Study (from £99) will equip you with crucial planning insight about the area you’re planning to site your Annexe or Garden Room. So if you pursue your application, you have the best chance of success. 

Prefer to talk to a planning expert in person?

Book a call with one of our planning experts or call/email us directly.

Phone number

01285 283200



Annexes are now a popular addition to many family homes to provide additional accommodation.

Mobile Home

NAPC provide a service to help you establish whether your mobile home meets the definition of a caravan and can apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness

Garden Room

Looking to install a garden room at your property? Unsure about planning permission or building regulations for garden rooms?

Planning Info For...
Planning Services

Talk to a planning expert

By completing the form below, or you can call us direct: