Lawful Development Certificate, Manchester

Lawful Development Certificate, Manchester


NAPC was instructed to obtain a Lawful Development Certificate for a mobile home in Manchester. The ancillary dwelling would be located within the curtilage of a dwelling in Salford City Council’s administrative boundaries.


mobile home plan drawing

The house was situated within the established settlement boundaries of Salford, surrounded by mostly residential areas. It was not listed as located in an area subject to any planning restrictions. The applicant urgently needed an annexe in their garden for their ageing and ill parent and wanted to move quickly.

Lawful Development Certificate – Our Approach

NAPC planners initially undertook a comprehensive desktop-based planning appraisal of the site.  Following this, NAPC advised the client that a prudent approach would be to seek a Certificate of Lawfulness for the siting of a mobile home on their land to be used for incidental/ancillary purposes to the dwelling. This approach would allow the client to receive the Council’s formal confirmation that the proposed mobile home was lawful and satisfied the definition of a mobile home.

Upon receiving formal instructions to proceed, NAPC planners used their extensive knowledge of the Caravan Act and then worked in collaboration with their appointed architects to produce a mobile home-compliant scheme, which truly embodied what the applicant was trying to achieve.

NAPC planners then assembled a robust planning application submission, comprising a comprehensive supporting Planning Statement justifying the case for the applicant by setting out the reasons why the proposed mobile home fulfilled the definition of a caravan. This made reference to relevant case law and appeal precedents to back up the client’s arguments.

The Caravan Act

The Caravan Sites Act 1968 defines a mobile home as an article of movable personal property known as a ‘chattel’. There are a number of tests within the Act legislation which have to be complied with in order to meet this definition. However, many prefabricated annexes and garden rooms available on the market today fit within this definition.  For a full definition of the Caravan Act, click here.

The Lawful Development Certificate Outcome

The applicant was subsequently granted a Lawful Development Certificate for the siting of a mobile home within the curtilage of the dwelling for over 35 sq.m, complete with a bedroom, bathroom and shower room, kitchenette and open plan living area.

Further support

So if you are inexperienced in development or construction, applying for mobile home planning permission can be a challenge. At NAPC, our knowledgeable planning team specialises in mobile homes and annexes.  We can guide you through the process using the Caravan Act legislation. Do get in touch for professional planning consultancy support.

Continue reading

Learn about annexe planning and key considerations for making an application on our blog page. Contact us for NAPC’s professional opinion on curtilage at 01285 283200.

The Caravan Act – Everything you need to know

The Granny Annexe: Householder or Mobile Home Application?



Thinking about building an annexe, garden room or mobile home, but unsure where to start?

Book a Feasibility Study from £99 plus vat to get your project started and receive a FREE Annexe Planning guide.

It will equip you with crucial planning insight about your plot, so you have the best chance of success.

Prefer to talk to a planning expert in person?

Book a call with one of our planning managers

Get in touch

Phone number

01285 283200


Related case studies


Annexes are now a popular addition to many family homes to provide additional accommodation.

Mobile Home

NAPC provide a service to help you establish whether your mobile home meets the definition of a caravan and can apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness

Garden Room

Looking to install a garden room at your property? Unsure about planning permission or building regulations for garden rooms?

Planning Info For...
Planning Services

Talk to a planning expert

By completing the form below, or you can call us direct: