Proposed changes to Permitted Development Rights

Proposed Changes to Permitted Development Rights

The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) are consulting on changes to various permitted development rights for householder development. The changes apply to England only and consultation is open until 9th April 2024.

To make your representations, please follow this link.

What are Permitted Development Rights?

Permitted development rights allow improvements and extensions to homes, without the need to apply for planning permission. Changes falling under permitted development can include the enlargement of the dwellinghouse.  As well as rear and side extensions, alterations and extensions to the roof. And to the erection of outbuildings within the dwelling curtilage.

The changes proposed by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities aim to provide further flexibility to the permitted development rights. The consultation covers the following areas and changes:

• to certain permitted development rights which enable householders to improve and enlarge their homes.
• the building upwards permitted development rights which enable the upward extension of a range of existing buildings.
• permitted development right (PDR) which allows for the demolition of certain buildings and re-build as homes.
• PDR which enable the installation of electrical outlets and upstands for recharging electric vehicles.
• the PDR for the installation of air source heat pumps.

Outbuilding changes

In relation to outbuildings, the consultation is seeking feedback on providing further flexibility on outbuildings within an area of Article 2(3) land.  Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONBs), the Broads, National Parks, and World Heritage Sites. Currently, in these areas, outbuildings situated more than 20 metres away from any wall of the dwellinghouse must not exceed 10 sqm. The DLUHC are looking to relax the size limitations on outbuildings to the rear of dwellinghouses. Thus i n these areas of Article 2(3) land, meaning the 10sqm allowance will be enlarged if located more than 20m away from the rear of the dwellinghouse.

As a note, not all properties benefit from permitted development rights.  It is always worth checking before carrying out any building work. We always advise you to seek a Certificate of Lawfulness if you are carrying out permitted development, this confirms the Council are happy with the proposed development falling under the General Permitted Development Order (England) 2015.

More information

For more information on the proposed changes click here.

To vote click here.

Further help

If you need any help with a Certificate of Lawfulness application get in touch. We can make representations on your behalf, so speak to us using the contact information below.


Get an answer quicker with a Feasibility Study

A one-off Feasibility Study (from £99) will equip you with crucial planning insight about the area you’re planning to site your Annexe or Garden Room. So if you pursue your application, you have the best chance of success. 

Prefer to talk to a planning expert in person?

Book a call with one of our planning experts or call/email us directly.

Phone number

01285 283200



Annexes are now a popular addition to many family homes to provide additional accommodation.

Mobile Home

NAPC provide a service to help you establish whether your mobile home meets the definition of a caravan and can apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness

Garden Room

Looking to install a garden room at your property? Unsure about planning permission or building regulations for garden rooms?

Planning Info For...
Planning Services

Talk to a planning expert

By completing the form below, or you can call us direct: